Sunday, March 22, 2009

Best RACE EVER!!

We had a BLAST at the Shamrock Half today. This event was a TON of fun. I have to recommend this race to every beginner runner or anyone just looking to have a blast. This race had it all... lots of fun runners (men in kilts), beer stops, live Bands and DJ's along the way, and even jokes along the side of the road (as if you'd get bored?!) Many runners/walkers do this race just for the beer.

As a part of your race fee you get a wicking t-shirt, running hat, reusable lunch bag, finisher's medal and most importantly 4 beer tickets for the finishers party. They also hand out plenty of beverages, snacks, irish stew, and thermal blankets. I admit, I was lame and didn't dare partake of any of the beer stops until the big final one. I'm not even sure the beer stops on the race course were legit. It seemed like a couple groups decided to hand out free beer to the runners to quench their thirst on their own. It was quite an act of good will!

Nick at Sunrise (We got up at 5:45 AM. The race started at 7 AM)

I'm looking forward to doing this again next year (God willing!) I finished in a time of 2:21:36, which puts my pace at 10:48 minutes a mile exceeding my expectations. I should have pushed harder, but I was a bit unsure of myself. At the beginning I didn't want to push too hard because I wanted to be sure I'd last the whole way. By the end of it, I realized I had more energy then I should have and was able to sprint to the end. If I had gone a proper pace, I shouldn't have been able to hit it so hard at the end.

A mile on the coast is simply not the same as a mile here. The easy flat miles were a welcome respite to arse kickin' hills we are accustomed. I'm simply thrilled with our progress.
I have to thank Nick for running with me. My guess is that he'd be comfortable doing 9 minute miles (he runs at an 8 minute mile pace when he's on his own doing 4 to 5 miles). I appreciate him sticking it out with me. I couldn't have done this had he not been so supportive. I also have to thank Linda for watching the kids so we could run this together. She sacrificed her weekend so we could do this and I'm ever so appreciative!

Me after the race.

The SportsFest: Irish Stew, Beer, Music: What more could you ask for?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Aliceson said...

Congratulations! Looks like you had a great time and great weather!

March 23, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home