Sunday, May 15, 2011

Garden Update

It's been a while since my last garden post.  Unfortunately, my 4 year old computer caught a virus and the old hard drive died.  All is resolved now that we have a brand new computer.

So much has gone on the garden since the last post.  For one, we are already enjoying broccoli though it's technically the result of a huge blunder.  Nick forgot to add soil ammendments prior to planting the broccoli plants and they are heavy feeders so they weren't getting the nutrition they needed.  They grew fast and spindly.  They are delicious though and it hasn't stopped the kiddos from eating the raw broccoli by the head.  My kids are weird.


Strawberries are in season now as well.  It's so hard to squeeze off all the flowers the first year, but it has really paid off.  We've already gotten 2 large containers worth since Thursday when they started to turn red and there is plenty more on their way.  This is our first season of having strawberries and we had to celebrate with a big batch of Feet Off the Table's Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp.

 
Pickin' with GreenEyes.


I have never had rhubarb.  Ever.  But I couldn't help but grow it when I saw it at the co-op when we first started our garden.  You're not supposed to harvest it the first year so this our first year enjoying it as well.  It came in a while back along with the aspargus and I thought now was the right time to try it now that the strawberries are also in.  I harvested several sprigs out of the garden today, brought it in, rinced it and tasted it raw.  It tasted weird.  I was afraid to ruin my giant batch of fresh garden strawberries by mixing the rhubarb with them so we ended up with the plain strawberry crisp.  Let me tell you, it was still amazing!

 Yumm!

The peas are close to being ready for harvesting, the onions are starting to flower, and we planted tomatoes, squash, carrots, etc. a few weeks ago. Let's hope it's a fruitful year!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Aliceson said...

Yay for new computers! And homegrown strawberries!!!

May 16, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home