Skip to main content

Food Guides


I thought this Canadian food guide above (click on it for a larger view) was interesting and way easier to understand.  Note: In Canada, they are allowed to say, "Have meat alternatives such as beans, lentils, and tofu OFTEN."

Eliminating meat products and reducing my salt consumption has done wonders for my health and gotten me off blood pressure medication completely.  I can't stress this enough.  I wish they had this information out there when my mom was around.   She might still be here today.

If you have BP issues, you might want to consider replacing your meat for beans and trying to reduce your salt consumption.  It didn't happen overnight for me, but gradually over the course of a few months, with the guidance of my doctor, the changes in my diet allowed me to step down from the full dose, to the half dose, then to the quarter dose and finally down to no medication at all!  It feels really good to be medication free and the trade off, once you get used to it, is actually quite good.  It has opened me to a whole new world of tastes and flavors.

The Power Plate

Health and Happy Eating!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below is August's Blog Hop.  Enjoy!  You can find it here.



Pixel Scrapper July 2017 Blog Train

This was a lot of fun!  Most of my artist endeavors have fallen to the wayside now that the kids are out for summer.  I was able to squeeze out a little time for myself.  I needed a few backgrounds to scrapbook our trip to Florida this year, so I created the backgrounds and elements below.  Enjoy!
You can find the files HERE.


Low Fat, Vegan, Spicy Senegalese Peanut Soup

I had the most amazing vegan soup at Revolutionary Soup the other week.  I haven't stopped thinking about how delicious it was... and that was two weeks ago.  I wondered if I could come up with something similar on my own.  I scoured the web and found some delicious looking recipes but none of them were quite right.  I ended up having to play around quite a bit.

While experimenting, I tried versions with lite coconut milk.  I figured if it worked, I'd then work on finding a lower fat alternative but it really didn't add much at all to the dish.  I ended up omitting it all together.  By contrast, the curry powder was absolutely critical.  It added incredible depth to the soup.  I used Tandoori seasoning (my favorite curry powder blend by Penzey's).

I was able to reduce the fat in this dish quite a bit by using PB2 in lieu of full fat peanut butter.  Powdered peanut butter has all of the flavor of peanut butter but 85% less fat.  You can find it at the link I provided or…