Skip to main content

Vegan Stuffed Pockets Healthified

I made a modified version of these DIY pockets from Chow Vegan today for lunch for the family.  My husband is kind of hooked on lean pepperoni pockets and if this is how I have to entice him to the herbie side, that's what I'll do.

I healthified the Chow vegan version by switching a few ingredients, namely by using only whole wheat flour, eliminating the oil completely, and reducing the salt.  They came out great.  They definitely aren't the old kind of pockets, but they are good and a joy to eat.

Vegan Stuffed Pockets Healthified
(makes 6 pockets)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 TB baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar or other unprocessed sugar
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
3 TB alternative milk
3/4 cup water
-------------------------------------
3 TB cornmeal for rolling
additional alternative milk to brush on top at the end
your favorite salt free seasoning mix for top (I used a garlic blend)
-------------------------------------
Filling -pizza sauce and veggies or anything that strikes your fancy.
I used 1 cup sauce, 1/2 onion diced, 1/2 cup mushrooms diced, and 1 italian Tofurkey sausage diced (a modest cheat, especially considering 1 sausage link was used to flavor all 6 pockets)

Method:

Preheat oven to 375.  Mix all dry ingredients except the cornmeal for rolling, then add the wet ingredients.  Divide into 6 parts and place each part individually onto a surface that has been prepared with cornmeal to avoid sticking when rolling.   Roll out dough into a circle no less than 1/4" thick using more cornmeal as needed to keep from sticking to the rolling pin.  Fill with your desired ingredients on 1/2 of the circle leaving 1/2" of space from the edge.  Roll the unfilled pocket flap over to the filled side and crimp the edge with a fork.  Brush very lighlty with milk and sprinkle on your favorite seasoning.  Bake for 20 minutes on parchment until heated through.


Below is the nutritional information based on how I stuffed them.  It can be made even healthier (eliminating fat) by omitting sausage and throwing in other veggies.

Nutritional Information:
Serving size: 1 pocket
Calories 185.4
Total Fat 3.0 g    <----- 27 calories from fat= 14.56% of calories from fat
    Saturated Fat 0.4 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 572.5 mg <------ This is WITH a significant sodium reduction! You can imagine what the original version must be, like all your sodium for the entire day.  Watch your portions, serve one with a hearty salad or veggie and you'll stay in check.
Potassium 150.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
 Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
    Sugars 4.0 g
Protein 10.1 g


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pixel Scrapper June Challenge - Yesteryear Mini Kit

I had so much fun making the artwork for this one.  I started with some papers, then made some old things, then went back to making papers again.  The colors were beautiful and muted for this challenge.  I hope you like them.  Enjoy!  :)
You can find the papers here and the elements here.

Low Fat, Vegan, Spicy Senegalese Peanut Soup

I had the most amazing vegan soup at Revolutionary Soup the other week.  I haven't stopped thinking about how delicious it was... and that was two weeks ago.  I wondered if I could come up with something similar on my own.  I scoured the web and found some delicious looking recipes but none of them were quite right.  I ended up having to play around quite a bit.

While experimenting, I tried versions with lite coconut milk.  I figured if it worked, I'd then work on finding a lower fat alternative but it really didn't add much at all to the dish.  I ended up omitting it all together.  By contrast, the curry powder was absolutely critical.  It added incredible depth to the soup.  I used Tandoori seasoning (my favorite curry powder blend by Penzey's).

I was able to reduce the fat in this dish quite a bit by using PB2 in lieu of full fat peanut butter.  Powdered peanut butter has all of the flavor of peanut butter but 85% less fat.  You can find it at the link I provided or…

Scrapbooking THAILAND Freebie!

After years of neglect on this blog, I'm reemerging so I can share one of my passions: scrapbooking.  I've been doing scrapbooking for over 15 years.  I started out scrapbooking on paper but I have transitioned over to completely digital scrapbooking in the last 7 or so years.

Most of the time I just use whatever freebies I can find but I wasn't able to find a lot of scrapbooking elements and papers to properly document my Thailand travels so I decided to create my own.  Thailand is a very vibrant country and I went with very saturated colors to reflect that.

I hope you are able to enjoy this freebie.   Please feel free to leave me a link to what you create with it!  You can download this kit for personal use only here at dropbox.

!  
Also, here is a link to a new collab project I'm working on with Pixel Scrapper!  You can download the elements/papers individually here.