Saturday, January 3, 2009

Oh, It's Time!

So, I've been thinking (Nick HATES it when I say that)...

My green eyes is 6 months old now and it's time to get back to the old me. I'd really prefer not to wait until Fall, so I'm thinking of doing a Spring race. (This has nothing to do with new years... I sort of loathe resolutions.) I ran up until my 34th week of pregnancy. It was actually easier to go running then, then it is now for mostly logistical reasons. Then, I just needed one kiddo to work with me, now I need two. Then, there is the whole running in the country thing I haven't really gotten used to yet.

My plan is to register for a run tomorrow. We just need to verify whether Nick will be able to run with me (i.e. whether we have a babysitter.) Regardless, Nick is going to train with me. Until I get a giant, mean dog, I don't enjoy running in the country alone.

I looked up a few different training schedules and this one appealed to me the most. It's simple, and has none of that crazy interval training. Having two kids, I don't have a lot of available time. Throw in Nick's limited availability and it's gets nutty. That is sort of an understatement. The limited hours of daylight is also an issue. With that in mind, I have to modify my goals. I just can't go a throw on a pair of shoes and go running. It takes a lot of planning and preparation. There are snacks, feeding times, and toddler tudes to consider.

I'm hoping I can train for this with just two big run days a week. That isn't a lot of running but on the other days I plan to do the elliptical. Having run a full marathon (almost two), I think I can get by with a little less this time if I make the run days really work. Sure, I could probably do a much better time if I could do more runs, but I'm doing what I can do with the resources I have. The important thing is that I get out there when I can. It's so easy to just give up.

This is the proposed schedule. I found it on http://www.marathonrookie.com:

10-Week Half Marathon Training Schedule
WeekMonTueWedThuFriSatSunTotal
13Rest33Rest4Rest13
23Rest43Rest5Rest15
33Rest43Rest6Rest16
43Rest53Rest8Rest19
53Rest53Rest10Rest21
64Rest54Rest11Rest24
74Rest64Rest12Rest26
84Rest54Rest9Rest22
93Rest43Rest8Rest18
103Rest3Walk 2Rest13.1Rest21.1


This is my modified schedule, though the days will most likely shift around based on weather...

10-Week Half Marathon Training Schedule
WeektueswedthfrisatsunmonTotal
13 ellipticalRest33 elliptical
Rest4Rest13
23ellipticalRest43ellipticalRest5Rest15
33ellipticalRest43ellipticalRest6Rest16
43ellipticalRest53ellipticalRest8Rest19
53ellipticalRest53ellipticalRest10Rest21
64ellipticalRest54ellipticalRest11Rest24
74ellipticalRest64ellipticalRest12Rest26
84ellipticalRest54ellipticalRest9Rest22
93ellipticalRest43ellipticalRest8Rest18
103ellipticalRest3Walk 2Rest13.1Rest21.1

OK, so it's out there. Now I have to stick to it. I hope the blizzards don't start coming now that I've committed myself to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home