Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Adventures in Savings Coming to an END???

I think there won't be a lot of Redskins talk on this blog in the next coming months. I don't think we could get much worse this year. Check out this article on Yahoo. Despite the "soft" schedule, they've been playing some kind of terrible. At least I have my Hokies. Their first game against #3 Alabama just about ripped my heart to shreds, but they are building my hope back up. Tech is currently ranked #4. Hopefully, they'll knock some GA Tech #15 butt come Saturday.

Well, today I bought a dozen eggs for 39 cents and a gallon of milk for 9 cents. Pretty cool... but I'm no longer impressed by my money saving skills and I'm considering making some changes. Why???

Having just read the "Omnivore's Dilemma" By Michael Pollan I feel like maybe I could be making better choices even if it's going to cost me money. Charlottesville has an awesome network of local farmers that I need to tap into more (specifically for meats as we grown our own produce). In fact, one of them, Polyface farm, is featured in the book Ominvore's Dilemma. You can check out Polyface Farm HERE.

I found the book to be a great critique on "organic" foods. The author is quick to point out that certified organic foods aren't always that environmentally friendly. Like, how environmentally friendly is an organic avocado flown in from Equador when in consumes so much fuel to get it here? He also analyzes those farms that haven't earned the "organic" label (like Polyface) who are indeed environmentally friendly but refuse to qualify as "organic" because doing so would compromise his high environmentally friendly standards. There's a thought!

I highly recommend this read. It's very insightful regarding the food production industry. The first several chapters reminded me of the documentary "King Corn." It's really got me thinking about what I'm ingesting. Though I like the idea of eating less meat less often to compensate for the higher cost of grass fed meat, my husband is less willing to budge. For us, I think the best thing we can do right now is start to really look at our options. Maybe we will continue to buy *some* meat at the traditional market, but maybe we can also make some of our meat purchases from local, sustainable grass farms in bulk once or twice a year and store it.... maybe even Polyface.

Well, enough of my soap box. I hope you guys are having a wonderful fall.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Aliceson said...

I love eating this way! Having a freezer full of all natural meats is a good feeling. Last night we ate a happy chicken (that's what we call them) and it was delicious. I paid $11.00 for a 5 pound bird which will cover 2 meals for us.

For reference, our pork was $300 for the whole pig including processing and smoking, and I pay $3 a dozen for jumbo eggs. So really not that unreasonable except if you are used to buying eggs for 39 cents. ;)

I loved 'King Corn' and will have to scan the library for the book you mentioned. There's also a fairly new documentary out that I haven't seen but I've read great reviews. It's called Food Inc and was in theaters recently (may still be even???), I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD.

October 14, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home