Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Monday Garden Club (a day late... AGAIN)

So, last week I was a little obsessive about what we were going to plant and when. All the planting times were jumping around in my head and I couldn't stand it. I had to get it on paper, so I did. Personally, I'd rather have put it in Microsoft Project but I don't have that software on my home computer so this will have to do. When my husband looked at it, he said, "Congratulations on making your hobby a job." Ha. I guess this is what happens when your career energy goes untapped for a while raising a family.
This little chart will help keep me focused and on track. As you can see, there is a lot to keep in mind. I'm happy to report we got a lot accomplished last week.

We planted the following:
Asparagus (40 plants)
Onions (25+)
Potatoes (at least 10, adirondack blue and fingerlings)
Strawberries (50)
Raspberries (2)
Blueberries (2)
Broccoli (16+)
Rhubarb (3)
Garlic (20+)
Shallots (20+)
Apple (1)


I also planted from seed:
Peas
Parsnips
Carrots
More Mesclun Mix

I have gotten conflicting information on how to plant carrots. Carrots and parsnips are supposed to be cold hardy and you can plant them now according to our cooperative extension. In fact it says to plant as soon as the soil can be worked so we are late. However, according to the seed packets I need to wait until after the threat of frost. So, I planted a few for now and will plant a succession of rows every 21 days or 3 weeks so we get a steady harvest. If these rows never take off, I don't have a lot to lose except a little seed. I'll go back and replant there later.

I think we got the peas off to a late start also so we may not see an early summer harvest of those. I guess we will see. I have no experience with them.

I'm happy to report that the broccolis and cauliflowers are doing better. Our weather last week was on the cool side and we've had some very light frosts since planting but I put row covers on them. They did just fine. Just like I mentioned in last week's post our temps are going to go from the mid-50's to the 80's this week. That is going tough on my little broccolis. There isn't much I can do in the case of heat. Hopefully, if I keep them a little moist, they will do alright.


Also, our forestry project has begun. Nick did the bulk of the work on that. Nick and I were butting heads on tree placement so I finally told him to just get it done on his own. I guess I was a little annoyed. Good thing I didn't marry another landscape architect?


One of our neighbor's stopped by and commented jokingly that it looked like Arlington Cemetery out there. I don't think that's the kind of comment you want. Admittedly, the seedling protectors aren't very attractive but given some time these hardwoods are going to be a real asset.

pic removed

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Aliceson said...

Wow! I could never be organized enough to make (or follow!) a chart but looks like it will be a great tool for an organized gardener.

You have been busy! I'm counting the days until I can start planting things outside, but on a quick walk through the garden this morning, I saw the rhubarb is starting to poke through the ground AND finally a few buds on the trees. Pretty soon!

March 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Merrit !
Quelle organisation !
Un vrai travail de scientifique et dans quelques temps ... le résultat...miam, miam !
Il exagère un peu ton voisin de comparer tes plantations à Arlington !
Gros bisous à vous 4.

March 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home