Monday, June 8, 2009

A Delectable Surprise

On our way home from DC, we picked up some fresh vegetables from a local farmer off the side of the road. While we were there, we picked up the usual... some green beans, some awesome orange/green peppers, yams, and a large tomato. She had some good looking turnips and beets but I'm not a fan. Maybe I need to have these prepared for me now that I'm an adult, but the kid in me wants nothing to do with them.

Anyway, while we were at the farmer's stand, we noticed a white squash we were unfamiliar with. I asked the lady what they were called and how to make them. She told me they were pattypan squash and they cooked up just like zucchini. Well, that sounded easy enough so I picked up three of them and thought I'd give it a try.

I found a recipe on the internet here.

Simple Scallop Squash Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 3 medium Squash, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 dash Paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon Minced Onion
  • 4 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/4 cup Milk
Steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (unless using microwave.)
  2. Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray.
  3. Cover bottom with squash.
  4. Dot squash with butter.
  5. Season with salt, paprika and onion.
  6. Cover squash with grated Parmesan cheese.
  7. Pour milk on top.
  8. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until squash is tender or microwave on High Power for 5-6 minutes; stirring occasionally.
Serves 6


This recipe got a thumbs up from Nick and I... and GreenEyes too. Ladybug didn't feel like experimenting today so she didn't eat so much as a bite. If she had, I'm sure she'd have loved them. I will be stopping by that stand next week for sure. I never thought squash could taste so good!!!

Nick tells me, as I write this, that we should invent a Swiffer that attaches to a baby so our floors will clean themselves as GreenEyes crawls around. He is speedy and crawling forward like nobody's business these days.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Aliceson said...

That looks yummy and something I've never tried before. I can't wait for the farmer's market to open up here.

Another great way to prepare summer squash and zucchini is to slice them then combine with cherry tomatoes some fresh garlic, salt & pepper with a splash of olive oil, wrap up in a foil then put it on the grill for 30 minutes. So good and yet very healthy. Would probably work with your pattypan squash too.

June 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Aliceson said...

One more thing... I'm not a beet fan either. Blech!

June 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home