Friday, May 15, 2009

Garden Progress Pics

The garden is coming along well. Nick installed the electric fence a few weekends ago. The cauliflower, some of the yellow summer squash and all beans have sprouted. The beans have REALLY taken off. We also have a few grape tomatoes hanging!

The Garden and Electric Fence

The bad news, however, is that we have had extremely wet weather. Just yesterday it was sunny during the day but it poured last night. We think the wet weather is what has killed the pumpkins. One of the pumpkin seeds sprouted and then quickly rotted away. The others didn't even sprout.

Our zucchini and broccoli have not sprouted either. It's been about two weeks since we planted them. But, I think the broccoli can take up to 21 days so I'm not giving up on them just yet. I think the zucchini is dead and we will have to replant or try something else.

Also, I think the extreme wet has hurt the strawberries. We planted them in mounds to ensure good drainage. But with all the crazy rain they've turned into wet stumps. Even though we've had sunny days, it will just pour and pour at night. It pours so much that the ground doesn't even had an opportunity to dry out. Our poor plants are rotting!

I noticed not all of the cauliflower came in so I came back in to reseed the bare areas. Nick feels I didn't need to do that and I need to be more zen. But I hate the inconsistency!! This garden must be productive!!


The Row of Beans

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Aliceson said...

Screw the zen, replant. Ma nature works in weird ways!

May 21, 2009 at 12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home