Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Meatless Dinners: Cheese-less Pizza

A friend of mine recently asked me for our pizza dough recipe and I though I would share the tips I've learned through the years along with the recipe.


Cheese-less pizza covered in veggies.  The sprinkling of "parmesan" on top is nutritional yeast.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amazing-whole-wheat-pizza-crust/detail.aspx

Here are a few additional notes you'll want to keep in mind:

- Engine 2 modifications: I use all whole wheat, and none of the white. I also don't add oil and it still worked out just fine.  Just add a few tablespoons of water.We prefer all whole wheat and have been doing it that way for years.  If you are adjusting the family to whole wheat though, I would recommend you gradually change your ratios as the kids may rebel.

- You must NOT forget the sugar and hot tap water to activate the yeast. The sugar is imperative, so is the hot water.  You could try using turbinado if you are against processed sugars but I think, in this case, it's a tiny amount and necessary for the yeast to rise.

- I use a dough hook to do the kneading for me. It doesn't take long to become smooth. The consistency should be tacky and pulling from the sides of the bowl when done. I find the dough can vary in wetness somewhat. Sometimes I add flour/water as necessary.

- This recipe is easy to triple. I hextuple it by doing two batches of 3 because I can only get 3 batches in my dough mixer at a time.

- We like thin crust so one recipe equals two large pizzas. When I hextupled it, it made 12 pizzas! Not bad for one bag of whole wheat flour ($2.59 at my store)!

- We roll out our dough in cornmeal.  It's awesome!

-I have an electric oven and I like to put the dough in the oven and "preheat" for 30-60 seconds to get it close to 80 in there and favorable for dough rising. You just have to be careful not to overheat it accidentally.  If it's too cold in your house it will take forever to rise.

-For a super crispy thin crust pizza without having to use a pizza paddle, we pre-bake the crust on a dark sheet pan directly on top of a pizza stone for about 5 minutes.  Then we take the pizza out, pile on the sauce and topping and cook for another 10-14 minutes, again with the pan directly on top of the pizza stone.  It's very, very crispy that way.  If you don't have a pizza stone, you can still do this and it will be crispy just not quite as crispy as when you put the pan directly on the pizza stone.  We lost too many pizzas trying to put the pizza directly on the stone.  It's hard to do with thin crust pizzas.

Hope you like it! We are big fans!


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home