Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vegan Oatmeal Shakes

I made oatmeal shakes for breakfast this morning and boy were they YUM!!!   I found the recipe here.  I love the recipes on the "Vegan Stoner" Site because they are all base recipes with the idea that you can add your seasonings/flair to make it personal.  Most of the recipes look like they'd be easy to convert to Engine 2 standards.  Some recipes don't need any conversion at all as with the oat shakes.  Good STUFF!!


For my version I took 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1 cup water and I nuked the oatmeal until it was done.  Then I added the specified ingredients along with a very large dash or two of cinnamon and a tinsy bit of vanilla into the food processor (we don't own a blender) and mixed until done.  Next time I might add a few soaked walnuts.  Or maybe instead of the apple I'll add a cup or two of blueberries?  Or maybe some of those blackberries we picked last year that are still in the freezer?  The possibilities are endless.

Update - Added 2 cups of spinach and forgot (on accident) the sweetener.  I dare you to throw in some greens!  You won't even notice it!


Update 2 - My newest favorite addition is cocoa!  1 banana, 1 bowl of cooked oatmeal, + couple tablespoons of cocoa + 1 cup milk = YUMMY!  Sometimes I'll even add some PB2 (see link on left side) for some added protein.  Wowza!!!



3 comments:

Mrsblocko said...

Soaked walnuts? What does soaking the nuts do?

Out in Them Sticks said...

Essentially it makes nutrients easier to digest. I saw it on Dr. Oz. http://goleanngreen.blogspot.com/2010/03/why-soak-almonds-and-walnuts.html

Mrsblocko said...

How is it that I've never heard of this? Time to get out from under my rock again! Does it change the taste at all?