Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Meatless Dinners: Smoky, Spicy Portobello Tacos

I'm LOVING trying all these new recipes right now.  It's really encouraging.  I'm learning that meals can be quite tasty under my new, plant only parameters.  Provided I keep portions in control, meeting salt requirements is doable.  

These spicy portobello tacos are awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I found them here. I modified the recipe to be reduced sodium and low fat (I took out the olive oil and replaced it with some water.)  I also used the baby portobellos I had on hand because they were on sale.  I think next time (because there is so much sodium in the peppers packed in adobe sauce) that I will exclude the tamari all together or use only 1/2 of it.

It's important to note that these tacos are spicy, so they aren't necessarily appropriate for kids. I suggest making a bean and veggie taco for them instead. I made only 1/2 the recipe for Nick and I. These came together in a hurry and are Nick approved.  I was shocked he didn't even want sour cream or cheese with them.   He topped his with lettuce and salsa.   I about fell on the floor with excitement over that!

Ingredients:

Portobello Mushrooms, 16 oz. minced (i.e. (2) 8 oz. packages of babies or 4 to 5 large portobello)
Water 2-3 TB
100% Whole Wheat Soft Taco Tortillas, 8
Reduced Sodium Tamari Sauce, 2 TB (I'm going to reduce this to half next time)
Maple Syrup 1 1/2 TB
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
Colgin Liquid Smoke, 1/2 tsp (or more if desired)
2 Chipotle Peppers packed in Adobe Sauce, minced
Top with salsa (I made homemade pico for myself) and/or lettuce!

Directions:

In a small bowl put the tamari sauce (or soy sauce but this will increase sodium), maple syrup, liquid smoke, chipotle peppers and mix together.  Mince (2) 8 oz. packages of baby portabella mushrooms. Add water to a non-stick frying pan and put it to medium heat. Add minced portabello mushrooms and cook until water is released from the shrooms. When done, add the spice mixture from the bowl. Cook only long enough to blend the flavors, about a minute or so. Top as you'd like!  You'll need lettuce and tomatoes for volume, the shrooms pack in the flavor.

Serving Size: makes 8 tacos




Nutritional Info:

Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 152.7
Total Fat: 1.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 397.2 mg (it will be 300 if you reduce the reduced sodium tamari to 1 TB)
Total Carbs: 29.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Protein: 6.1 g

Cost Breakdown:

(1) 8 oz. packages of baby portabellos $2 (they were on sale at HT this week for $1.47!)
fat free refried beans (for the kids) $1
whole wheat tortillas $3
chipotle peppers in adobe sauce $1
incidentals $1
old lettuce in the fridge, lol $.50
tomatoes $1
pre-made salsa (nick's must) $2
=$11.50/4 or $2.80 a serving

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home