Saturday, May 1, 2010

Potty Power

First, I apologize for the boring nature of this post, but I am enthused mom and can't help myself.

I am very pleased to announce that GreenEyes has made it 3 days without diapers (with the exception of course to sleeping hours)!!! After several weeks of repeated Potty Power DVD watching, he started showing some initiative (i.e. ripping off his diaper and sitting on the potty on his own). The timing wasn't ideal but I realized he was ready.

The worst part about potty training is that ever-elusive initial pee on the potty. The waiting can be excruciating. I waited a good hour and half next to GreenEyes in the bathroom, singing, reading books, singing some more... Finally, he couldn't hold it anymore and had to go. He started to squirm and squeal. But we held steady, I assured him it'd be OK... then.... Success!

Once you get that initial pee, it's get easier from there. Sure, there was a lot more waiting in store, but nothing like the first time. Nothing can be accomplished on a day like that, so Nick came home to a sink full of dishes and a messy house. He didn't care though, because he was off the hook for training. I had to constantly remind Green Eyes that first day and watch him like a hawk, so though successful, it was only the first step. By the end of the day he was taking initiative on his own. Unlike Ladybug, he didn't even care about number two so I didn't have to do separate training for that. He just did it on his own!

On day two, I let him take the lead and I didn't remind him so we had two accidents from the get-go. I even questioned whether he was ready or not because he wasn't at all into it that morning. But with some gentle coaxing, he took initiative the rest of the day and we had no more accidents. I even put a diaper on him for his nap and when he woke up, he took it off immediately. It was dry and he had waited to go! He ran right for the potty upon waking.

By day three, today, he woke up ready to go. I have not reminded him at all and he has had no accidents. I still don't want to say we are done with diapers just yet but I'm hopeful. Our next step will be going somewhere and having him use the potty on the road and the big potty at the store. Still, this is a huge success!! :) Way to go GreenEyes for graduating to big boy status!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrsblocko said...

Way to go on the potty power! That's a huge milestone. Congrats to you and the little guy.

May 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home