Sunday, June 13, 2010

Monday Garden Club

A lot has happened in our garden last week.  As mentioned in the previous post our blueberries are starting to ripen.  Our bushes aren't very large as they have just been planted this year but we've been able to get 5 to 8 berries a day.  Next year will be the true test of whether or not they will work where we've placed them.




Our wild blackberries are starting to turn black.  I'm so excited about those!


Sadly, we had a very bad thunderstorm recently and it caused quite a bit of damage to our green bean plants, our tomatoes, and our squash.  Fortunately, most everything recovered naturally except the green beans.  We had to go back and stake those because several had completely toppled over.  Hopefully they will recover completely now that they are staked.

Toppled Green Bean Plants

Newly Staked Green Beans

We also staked up our tomatoes again.  They were already staked and caged but they needed even more reinforcing so we staked them again with a metal rod.

Before Staking

After Staking

I have so much squash I don't know what to do with it.  I suppose we will be donating it.  Our grape tomatoes and green beans are also starting to come in nicely!  (The weird stringy thing is a parsnip I dug up while thinning the bed.)


I put basil plants all over the garden and they are really starting to get big and bushy.  I'm delighted because it should be really big by the time the tomatoes are ripe so I can make a big ole batch of homemade roasted tomato basil soup!

Basil

The peas were on their way out so we got rid of them in anticipation of needing the space for the fall broccoli.  I also got rid of much of the old broccoli beds in anticipation of using them for a late summer planting of fall harvest peas (they will switch beds).  We planted the broccoli and cauliflower indoors this weekend but we will wait until July to direct sew the fall peas.  I also planted a small patch of brussel sprout seeds where the roquette and mache were growing.  I counted 100 days out from the first fall frost date and then gave myself an extra two weeks so hopefully we are planting at the right time!  It will be our first real go at those.

Newly Planted Brussel Sprout Seeds

I suppose that's about all for now!  Happy Gardening!!  For more gardening updates from around the blogosphere check out Feet Off the Table's Monday Garden Club!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sara L said...

Your garden is doing so well! Tell me more about your fence - ha - I think our groundhog is back. Is it electric? I can't decide if and how to fence our raised beds - any suggestions? I am afraid if I fence each bed separately I will not be able to reach in and pick/weed.

June 13, 2010 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger sheila said...

Wow everything is looking GREAT! I think I might try and grow berries of some sort next year.

June 14, 2010 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Aliceson said...

Lookin' good! Your blueberries look divine! Mine are agian not going to produce berries. I hate to give up on them but they just don't seem to like it here.

I've never found a tomato cage that holds up tomato plants all by themselves. Usually buy mid July the whole thing has fallen over and broken. I'm trying to not let that happen this year but it's still early...


Grabbed your link!

June 14, 2010 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Your garden is doing great. I wish we had blueberry bushes.

June 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Il est trop beau votre jardin Merrit et en plus, tu as 2 adorables petits jardiniers !
Dommage que je sois aussi loin car j' aimerais bien goûter tous ces produits, miam, miam !
Gros bisous pour vous 4.

June 16, 2010 at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home