Sunday, May 30, 2010

Monday Garden Update

So, according to my insane nifty plan I need to start my broccoli and cauliflower seedlings sometime soon if I want a fall harvest.  Pretty much all of the plants I grew from seed this Spring did not grow as strong as I wanted (with the exception of the squash) thanks to a lack of light.  As such, I had Nick build me a set up similar to Feet Off the Table's in our crawl space.  Just like Ali, I'm putting the lights on a timer so all I have to do is come in and water as needed.  My plan is to raise the lights with S-hooks as the plants grow toward the light. It is much cooler in the crawl space then outside during the summer and warmer in the winter so it should be a good location.  It also keeps the plants out of the house and away from grabby toddlers. Let's hope the new set-up yields some nicer looking plants!


on to the garden...

I'm going to say that about 25% of the peas are ready for picking.  I don't know if I should wait until more are ready or what...  so I'm waiting, but things are looking good.


We have patty pan squash on three different plants!!!  You may or may not remember this awesome pattypan recipe from last year!  I'm SO EXCITED... this is our first year for patty pan!!!


We also have zukes!!!


I had this awesome zucchini dish at Carraba's a while back while traveling and I wasn't able to shake just how delicious it was.  It was roasted zucchini with some italian bread crumbs and garlic and just a hint of parm cheese.  It was sooooo good.  So, I researched a bunch of different recipes trying to find something that resembled what I remembered.  I have a new **FAVORITE** recipe for zucchini!  Check it out here.  I will say I made with and without the olive oil with little appreciable difference so this is a great low-fat, DELISH option for zucchini.  We gardeners know that when zukes come, you need to come up with a lot of ways to fix it or they will begin to tire on you because summer squash plants are crazy productive!

Yummy Zucchini Casserole

Happy Memorial Weekend Everyone!!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger sheila said...

Awesome lighting set up! And your squashes are huge! I've never heard of that kind of squash! The little zucchinis are looking awesome and I can only hope mine take that well.

May 31, 2010 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Aliceson said...

Yay for basement (or crawl space) gardening!

That recipe sounds delicious! I'm always excited to try a new way of preparing (using up!) zucchini.

Looking great M!

June 1, 2010 at 1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home