Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pea Harvest!

I read somewhere that you should take off ripened peas as soon as possible to allow the rest of the peas to ripen.  I found this on some obscure forum, like Yahoo answers or something so I don't know how true it is.  I figured it couldn't hurt so I got to pickin' yesterday and we enjoyed our first batch of peas last night along with mesclun mix salad and broccoli.  Good eats!

Shelling peas is a lot of work!
My kids love to eat peas right off the vine in the garden (so much so they fight over them).  I like baby peas off the vine too but the ripe ones are a little strong and in need of a steaming in my opinion.  Of course, like my kids, my husband prefers them raw either way!

The zucchini will be ready any day now  and our first grape tomatoes are looking like they are about to turn red so we will be rolling in vegetables any day over here!  We couldn't help ourselves and ate our first batch of baby squash the night before last as well.   I tossed 'em in some minced garlic, a dash of olive oil and salt and roasted them in the oven.  YUMMY!  I forgot to take a pic of the roasted baby squash medley on Monday so I guess it'll be the next installment before I share a pic of that though!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Aliceson said...

Yumm! I too pick them as they become ready. The more you pick, the more you should get!

Last year our neighbors gave us a grocery bag full of peas and I shelled 3 freezer bags full for over the winter. It took me 2 sittings to shell them all but it was worth it.

June 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home