Skip to main content

Meatless Dinners: "Meat"ball Subs

Today was a bit of a "cheat" day for me.  We like to go out once a week to a restaurant of some kind and to be honest, I like that part of the week!  We love Qdoba because the kids eat free on Sunday and we get out of there cheap and the food is fresh.   We actually tried Chipotle in town first but the line wrapped around so long and there were no tables available.  So on to Qdoba we went.

The old me would order the You Pick Two Combo with tortilla soup and 2 chicken tacos without cheese but maybe a dash of sour cream for flavor.  The new vegan me went for the veggie burrito with black beans and no sour cream nor cheese (and I ate only half of the tortilla and picked out some rice at that.)  In hindsight I should have maybe stuck to the salad as there was way too much refined, white flour and rice in the meal even taking off half the tortilla.  I went to the Qdoba website and calculated my salt intake, calories, etc. and the meal had a little over 1,000g of sodium and 580 calories.  Yikes on the salt!

When we got home after a day out and about, including church, lunch, a few grocery stores, and a nice afternoon walk, I was exhausted.  So I made this easy meal thanks to Happy Herbivore:

"Meat"balls in marinara sauce on a whole wheat hot dog bug with a heaping side of broccoli

The ingredients were pretty simple.  Leave me a comment with your email addy if you would like the recipe.  I didn't follow the recipe exactly as I didn't put the soy sauce in it to reduce the sodium content.  To make the marinara quickly I started with my favorite pasta sauce (fire roasted Classico) then added 1 large can of tomato puree.  As it is pretty much a 1:1 pasta sauce/tomato puree ratio, you essentially cut the salt in half.  I won't lie, it's not going to taste like the same old salty marinara.

That said, I thought it was really tasty, low cal, low fat, and EASIER TO MAKE than the meat version.

Cost Breakdown:

Gimme Lean Sausage Roll $3.50
Hot dog buns $1.50
marinara sauce $1.50
2 slices whole wheat bread for breadcrumbs $.25
1/2 c. non dairy milk $.25
Side of broccoli $2
2 TB nutritional yeast $.10
mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, seasonings (incidentals)
=  $9.10/4 (plus a little fudge for incidentals) = $2.50 ish per serving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pixel Scrapper June Challenge - Yesteryear Mini Kit

I had so much fun making the artwork for this one.  I started with some papers, then made some old things, then went back to making papers again.  The colors were beautiful and muted for this challenge.  I hope you like them.  Enjoy!  :)
You can find the papers here and the elements here.

Low Fat, Vegan, Spicy Senegalese Peanut Soup

I had the most amazing vegan soup at Revolutionary Soup the other week.  I haven't stopped thinking about how delicious it was... and that was two weeks ago.  I wondered if I could come up with something similar on my own.  I scoured the web and found some delicious looking recipes but none of them were quite right.  I ended up having to play around quite a bit.

While experimenting, I tried versions with lite coconut milk.  I figured if it worked, I'd then work on finding a lower fat alternative but it really didn't add much at all to the dish.  I ended up omitting it all together.  By contrast, the curry powder was absolutely critical.  It added incredible depth to the soup.  I used Tandoori seasoning (my favorite curry powder blend by Penzey's).

I was able to reduce the fat in this dish quite a bit by using PB2 in lieu of full fat peanut butter.  Powdered peanut butter has all of the flavor of peanut butter but 85% less fat.  You can find it at the link I provided or…

Scrapbooking THAILAND Freebie!

After years of neglect on this blog, I'm reemerging so I can share one of my passions: scrapbooking.  I've been doing scrapbooking for over 15 years.  I started out scrapbooking on paper but I have transitioned over to completely digital scrapbooking in the last 7 or so years.

Most of the time I just use whatever freebies I can find but I wasn't able to find a lot of scrapbooking elements and papers to properly document my Thailand travels so I decided to create my own.  Thailand is a very vibrant country and I went with very saturated colors to reflect that.

I hope you are able to enjoy this freebie.   Please feel free to leave me a link to what you create with it!  You can download this kit for personal use only here at dropbox.

!  
Also, here is a link to a new collab project I'm working on with Pixel Scrapper!  You can download the elements/papers individually here.