Skip to main content

Update on the Monday Garden Update

So, in my previous post I thought the potatoes were dead but apparently I just lack experience.  I knew they were going to die back eventually but I was thinking this would occur sometime in August, not mid-June.  I had begun to prepare myself for no potato harvest this year.

 Dead-looking Potato Plants

After some nudging from a garden friend (you know who you are), I quickly referenced  the seed packet the potatoes came and I realized I had planted early to early/mid-season varieties.  These varieties take 90 days to harvest and I planted them in early March so that means they should be ready.  Go figure!


According to another garden blog, I need to wait 2-3 weeks after the plants are completely dead to ensure the potatoes are the  largest.  I only had two plants that have been dead that long so I harvested those today.  It will be a week or two or more before I finish the rest of the potatoes!   I got about 8ish pounds or so of potatoes from the two.  I don't know if the yields are good or bad but I don't really care.  I have expensive blue potatoes and fingerlings and they were delish for dinner tonight!  From just dinner tonight I have made up for the $3.00 I paid for the potato seed because that's what specialty potatoes start at.

Russian Fingerling Potatoes
 Potatoes Prior to Roasting.

The Shallots have also been at death's door from some time as well.  The tops have withered and turned brown at the tips.  I planted 6 shallots total but I haven't harvest them all, just two for now.   The bulb packet they came in said they would be ready mid summer as well.  I'll be hanging them dry so they will store.  I've been eying an awesome Shallot Vinagrette dressing for some time (I'm sure I'll post about it later so stay tuned) so I'm thrilled!!!  I don't know why these are so expensive in the store but they are so delicious!  I'm very excited about these shallots!

 Yummy Havested Shallots!

Comments

Aliceson said…
Yay! Those purple potatoes look so cool! I may even try those next year for a little color...
camelia said…
Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Popular posts from this blog

Pixel Scrapper July 2017 Blog Train

This was a lot of fun!  Most of my artist endeavors have fallen to the wayside now that the kids are out for summer.  I was able to squeeze out a little time for myself.  I needed a few backgrounds to scrapbook our trip to Florida this year, so I created the backgrounds and elements below.  Enjoy!
You can find the files HERE.


Low Fat, Vegan, Spicy Senegalese Peanut Soup

I had the most amazing vegan soup at Revolutionary Soup the other week.  I haven't stopped thinking about how delicious it was... and that was two weeks ago.  I wondered if I could come up with something similar on my own.  I scoured the web and found some delicious looking recipes but none of them were quite right.  I ended up having to play around quite a bit.

While experimenting, I tried versions with lite coconut milk.  I figured if it worked, I'd then work on finding a lower fat alternative but it really didn't add much at all to the dish.  I ended up omitting it all together.  By contrast, the curry powder was absolutely critical.  It added incredible depth to the soup.  I used Tandoori seasoning (my favorite curry powder blend by Penzey's).

I was able to reduce the fat in this dish quite a bit by using PB2 in lieu of full fat peanut butter.  Powdered peanut butter has all of the flavor of peanut butter but 85% less fat.  You can find it at the link I provided or…

Scrapbooking THAILAND Freebie!

After years of neglect on this blog, I'm reemerging so I can share one of my passions: scrapbooking.  I've been doing scrapbooking for over 15 years.  I started out scrapbooking on paper but I have transitioned over to completely digital scrapbooking in the last 7 or so years.

Most of the time I just use whatever freebies I can find but I wasn't able to find a lot of scrapbooking elements and papers to properly document my Thailand travels so I decided to create my own.  Thailand is a very vibrant country and I went with very saturated colors to reflect that.

I hope you are able to enjoy this freebie.   Please feel free to leave me a link to what you create with it!  You can download this kit for personal use only here at dropbox.

!  
Also, here is a link to a new collab project I'm working on with Pixel Scrapper!  You can download the elements/papers individually here.