Skip to main content

Monday Garden Club (a day early)

We have been getting a lot of intermittent rain showers recently so it has been a bit of a lazy week as it's been too soggy to do much gardening.  It's been great for the broccoli so we harvested our first couple plants this week and it was delicious.  We have plenty more too.  We are thrilled!

The peas have been going crazy and started to crowd out the parsnips so we had to do something.  Nick is a pea expert and had explained to me prior to planting that we didn't need to use a trellis for them because they would just fall over in the wind. He knows this because he used to drive a pea combine.  While they probably would have been fine, we didn't give them enough room for that so Nick threw up some stakes and some kite string to make me an impromptu trellis for the peas.  It's better but we should have done that a while ago.


The potatoes were starting to wipe out the onions so I had Nick stake 'em so they'd go more up than out.  I don't know if this will help, but whatever.  I planted them too close.  I just can't help myself!

These little nasty black bugs are eating the crap out of my potato and eggplant plants.  I put some organic insecticide on them to absolutely no avail.  :(


Nothing is bothering the tomatoes yet and another tomato plant is bearing fruit.  :)


Our pumpkin plant is getting huge already and has a little itty bitty pumpkin thingy growing. 


The rainy weather has been great for the rhubarb.  Pardon the weeds.  The rain has helped the weeds too and I haven't had much of an opportunity to remove them.


That's all for this week at Out in Them Sticks.  Check out Feet off the Table's Monday Garden Club for more garden blogging from around the blogosphere.

Comments

Aliceson said…
Peas kind of do what they want. Last year we used a wooden fence like structure but even after trying to train them up it, they flopped on the ground anyway. You hardly think that everything will get to be so crowded when you plant those tiny seeds. Amazing how fast it all grows!

Lookin' good, and how exciting to have eaten your first broccoli of the year!

I'm grabbing your link, my post should be up very soon!
sheila said…
WOW! Everyone's garden is growing so beautifully. Cept mine. What do you put on your plants to keep off the bugs? I have a eco-friendly/organic thing to spray on, but haven't used it. Mostly cuz my stuff is dead. lol.

Popular posts from this blog

Pixel Scrapper June Challenge - Yesteryear Mini Kit

I had so much fun making the artwork for this one.  I started with some papers, then made some old things, then went back to making papers again.  The colors were beautiful and muted for this challenge.  I hope you like them.  Enjoy!  :)
You can find the papers here and the elements here.

Low Fat, Vegan, Spicy Senegalese Peanut Soup

I had the most amazing vegan soup at Revolutionary Soup the other week.  I haven't stopped thinking about how delicious it was... and that was two weeks ago.  I wondered if I could come up with something similar on my own.  I scoured the web and found some delicious looking recipes but none of them were quite right.  I ended up having to play around quite a bit.

While experimenting, I tried versions with lite coconut milk.  I figured if it worked, I'd then work on finding a lower fat alternative but it really didn't add much at all to the dish.  I ended up omitting it all together.  By contrast, the curry powder was absolutely critical.  It added incredible depth to the soup.  I used Tandoori seasoning (my favorite curry powder blend by Penzey's).

I was able to reduce the fat in this dish quite a bit by using PB2 in lieu of full fat peanut butter.  Powdered peanut butter has all of the flavor of peanut butter but 85% less fat.  You can find it at the link I provided or…

Scrapbooking THAILAND Freebie!

After years of neglect on this blog, I'm reemerging so I can share one of my passions: scrapbooking.  I've been doing scrapbooking for over 15 years.  I started out scrapbooking on paper but I have transitioned over to completely digital scrapbooking in the last 7 or so years.

Most of the time I just use whatever freebies I can find but I wasn't able to find a lot of scrapbooking elements and papers to properly document my Thailand travels so I decided to create my own.  Thailand is a very vibrant country and I went with very saturated colors to reflect that.

I hope you are able to enjoy this freebie.   Please feel free to leave me a link to what you create with it!  You can download this kit for personal use only here at dropbox.

!  
Also, here is a link to a new collab project I'm working on with Pixel Scrapper!  You can download the elements/papers individually here.