Skip to main content

Monday Garden Update

It's Monday and you know what that means: it's time for Monday Garden Club at Feet off the Table!

We've been enjoying salad greens for some time now.  My favorite greens to grow are musclun mix (i.e. a rainbow of everything).  The flavor is phenomenal and they are so easy to grow.  I do think greens season is coming to an end here but I am going to sow two more short rows tomorrow for experimentation purposes.  June is usually too hot for these babies but we've been having cooler weather than usual.  I'm probably jinxing myself and now we are bound to have some narly a$$ heat wave, but whatever.  Aren't they beautiful? We've been having salad every single day for the past couple weeks here at Out in them Sticks!


We have little grape tomatoes hanging out already!  It'll be a while of course though...


We have little pea pods!  It'll be a while until we harvest those too, but it's progress!


Here are the eggplants and a pepper (in the corner) I mentioned in last week's post.  As you can see they aren't doing to great, but they look better than just a few days ago. I still think I'll be replacing them, but I'll give them a few weeks before I make any drastic decisions.


The blackberries have stopped blooming and are showing fruits now.  We are just a month or two from some delicious wild blackberries!!


I planted some sunflowers last week by the shed for the fun of it.  I'm excited to see what they do!  If they do something, that's great.  If not, I won't be shedding any tears from it.  I just thought it'd be cute.  If they grow, we'll save 'em for the bird feeder (that is if the birds haven't eaten 'em already).


Last but not least, I think we may harvest our first broccoli this week?  How much bigger will they get?  I have no idea.  Should I pick now, or wait, or what?  Any advice is welcome!


How is your garden growing these days?  Check out what Ali and others are doing over at Feet off The Table's Monday Garden Club.

Comments

sheila said…
WoW! Nice! My broccoli from last year (the one that survived, lol) was about 1/8 of that size ! HA HA! Everything looks so good! After seeing your greens I'm wishing I planted more of that stuff.
Aliceson said…
Everything looks great! I always plant sunflowers too, just for fun. And the great thing about sunflowers is that you can harvest the seeds in the fall and plant them again next year. We always get a few volunteers that grow up where we had them planted the year before, just like tomatoes.

Broccoli is looking good! Ours got to be a bit bigger last year and I think you could let them get a bit bigger but if you see the heads start to flower (by turning a little bit yellow)at all, pull them right away. Once you harvest the big crown, you will still get smaller florets for quite a while as long as your weather is kind to them. At least the variety we grew last year kept producing...
Julie said…
Ah..so fun to see the progress. I think you should pick the broccoli now..but I'm impatient like that!
Julia said…
There are wild blackberries everywhere up where we live. We even have some that grow right near our house. My boys thought that was the best part about this house! Thanks for stopping by earlier!

Popular posts from this blog

Pixel Scrapper June Challenge - Yesteryear Mini Kit

I had so much fun making the artwork for this one.  I started with some papers, then made some old things, then went back to making papers again.  The colors were beautiful and muted for this challenge.  I hope you like them.  Enjoy!  :)
You can find the papers here and the elements here.

Low Fat, Vegan, Spicy Senegalese Peanut Soup

I had the most amazing vegan soup at Revolutionary Soup the other week.  I haven't stopped thinking about how delicious it was... and that was two weeks ago.  I wondered if I could come up with something similar on my own.  I scoured the web and found some delicious looking recipes but none of them were quite right.  I ended up having to play around quite a bit.

While experimenting, I tried versions with lite coconut milk.  I figured if it worked, I'd then work on finding a lower fat alternative but it really didn't add much at all to the dish.  I ended up omitting it all together.  By contrast, the curry powder was absolutely critical.  It added incredible depth to the soup.  I used Tandoori seasoning (my favorite curry powder blend by Penzey's).

I was able to reduce the fat in this dish quite a bit by using PB2 in lieu of full fat peanut butter.  Powdered peanut butter has all of the flavor of peanut butter but 85% less fat.  You can find it at the link I provided or…

Scrapbooking THAILAND Freebie!

After years of neglect on this blog, I'm reemerging so I can share one of my passions: scrapbooking.  I've been doing scrapbooking for over 15 years.  I started out scrapbooking on paper but I have transitioned over to completely digital scrapbooking in the last 7 or so years.

Most of the time I just use whatever freebies I can find but I wasn't able to find a lot of scrapbooking elements and papers to properly document my Thailand travels so I decided to create my own.  Thailand is a very vibrant country and I went with very saturated colors to reflect that.

I hope you are able to enjoy this freebie.   Please feel free to leave me a link to what you create with it!  You can download this kit for personal use only here at dropbox.

!  
Also, here is a link to a new collab project I'm working on with Pixel Scrapper!  You can download the elements/papers individually here.