Skip to main content

Home Office Improvement Frustration

Right now our office looks like a garage. I say that because all the office and craft supplies we have are sitting in large plastic storage boxes. It's quite an eye-sore. Fabric from my sewing/quilting habit, French Workbooks, Scrapbooking Supplies and bills to-file fill up the room.

We'd like to add some new cabinets to our home office to solve the problem: however, they are very expensive. I've looked into doing pre-fab cabinets from local building supply stores but the problem with them is that they don't make the bottom cabinets at a height appropriate for a desk. They only come in kitchen counter height sizes. They wouldn't work.

Yet, out and about, in all the professional offices I see plenty of what appear to be pre-fab cabinets at desk height. Does anyone know of good places to get pre-fab office cabinets? I've tried online and found nothing.
Plan View

If we go with the custom cabinets, they will cost $4,326 excluding tax and without adding on an additional $800-900 in installation cost. If you add a laminate counter top with a wood edge you must add an additional $675. Total price of the project is $5901 plus tax. At that price, we won't be doing that for a long while.

Comments

Sara said…
What program did you use for your plan?
I used Autocad 2007 for the plan. When I was nesting (i.e. very pregnant) I did a CAD plan of the entire house because I wanted to know where everything would go.
Aliceson said…
Our last house had a beautiful home office with desk height box cabinets, but no idea where they came from. Sorry. I know they're out there... somewhere.
E4H said…
try cubicle furniture from an used office supply store
13skulls said…
All the cabinets in my garage workshop came out of the E.R. where I work when we expanded and remodeled. Freebie. They were in superior shape. Maybe there is a major building renovation near ya'll where some may be dug up for very little.

Popular posts from this blog

Pixel Scrapper June Challenge - Yesteryear Mini Kit

I had so much fun making the artwork for this one.  I started with some papers, then made some old things, then went back to making papers again.  The colors were beautiful and muted for this challenge.  I hope you like them.  Enjoy!  :)
You can find the papers here and the elements here.

Low Fat, Vegan, Spicy Senegalese Peanut Soup

I had the most amazing vegan soup at Revolutionary Soup the other week.  I haven't stopped thinking about how delicious it was... and that was two weeks ago.  I wondered if I could come up with something similar on my own.  I scoured the web and found some delicious looking recipes but none of them were quite right.  I ended up having to play around quite a bit.

While experimenting, I tried versions with lite coconut milk.  I figured if it worked, I'd then work on finding a lower fat alternative but it really didn't add much at all to the dish.  I ended up omitting it all together.  By contrast, the curry powder was absolutely critical.  It added incredible depth to the soup.  I used Tandoori seasoning (my favorite curry powder blend by Penzey's).

I was able to reduce the fat in this dish quite a bit by using PB2 in lieu of full fat peanut butter.  Powdered peanut butter has all of the flavor of peanut butter but 85% less fat.  You can find it at the link I provided or…

Scrapbooking THAILAND Freebie!

After years of neglect on this blog, I'm reemerging so I can share one of my passions: scrapbooking.  I've been doing scrapbooking for over 15 years.  I started out scrapbooking on paper but I have transitioned over to completely digital scrapbooking in the last 7 or so years.

Most of the time I just use whatever freebies I can find but I wasn't able to find a lot of scrapbooking elements and papers to properly document my Thailand travels so I decided to create my own.  Thailand is a very vibrant country and I went with very saturated colors to reflect that.

I hope you are able to enjoy this freebie.   Please feel free to leave me a link to what you create with it!  You can download this kit for personal use only here at dropbox.

!  
Also, here is a link to a new collab project I'm working on with Pixel Scrapper!  You can download the elements/papers individually here.