Monday, January 26, 2009

On Being Morally Defunct, Mentally Unstable, and Stupid

I surfed around the other day and I tried to find some blogs that represented the right side of politics. I guess I thought it would be a good way to expand my view. We all need checks and balances. I think we all have something to learn from each other.

Unfortunately, I really couldn't find anything that wasn't in some way insulting or degrading. Within seconds I discovered that liberalism is a brain disease and that the democratic party is a party lacking any morality. Another political blog went on to associate democrats as promiscuous alcoholics. Yet another blog urged individuals to read a defamatory web-site and oh, be sure to get your t-shirts to annoy the liberals here. I could go on and on. I guess this is all to combat the leftist media?

Now, that said, I'm sure there is just as much nonsense on the web that is on the left.

As a result of this research, I have a public apology to make. I am sorry for getting all upset over a little comment a friend made plugging a certain political celebrity who I personally found to be, well, very offensive and untruthful. Fact is, there is very little out there on the blog circuit that doesn't follow this same low level, demeaning style of discourse (at least politically speaking). Surfing over an hour on the web, I was challenged to find much in the way of true content. Perhaps the web is the only place people have to get rid of their angst and disgust for the opponent party. Who am I to say anything?

But, I did find something in the end. The best I could find was Time.com's blog list and the Economist. Time is supposed to have a blog list that covers red, blue "and every shade in between." As a blog based from a news source, it's nice to know that there is a place to go to read opinion with some kind of filter, i.e. without being personally assaulted from either side.

For example, today, I read a wonderful piece here in the Economist about how Obama's statement "I win" in regards to the spending-oriented economic plan he proposed was viewed as "counterproductive our turnism" to the right wing. The author stated that those words seemed very similar to the same kind of sentiment Bush had when he was in office, a sentiment many liberals complained about. He then questioned how deep liberal's commitments were to "a new kind of politics." I have to say that I found that interesting. He had a great point. It was refreshing.

After all, is it possible that there are many perfectly rational ways of seeing things? And could it be that seeing things a different way doesn't make you morally defunct nor mentally unstable nor stupid?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home