Friday, May 7, 2010

Good Seed

My life revolves around food. I pretty much go to bed and wake up thinking about it so my favorite part of gardening is letting my inner foodie get its fix without breaking the bank.

The key to a indulgent, varied, and flavorful harvest are great seeds. There are so many awesome seed companies on the web, it is a little overwhelming to a newbie such as myself! Last year we mostly ordered from Territorial Seed. We were in a bit of rush at the time and had done little planning so our choices were all done rather hastily. We had just moved, had a new baby and a crazy toddler running a muck so it was all overwhelming.

Somehow, we managed to scrape a garden together that spring despite all the challenges and I was shocked at what we accomplished. The Cabernet grape tomato plant we purchased from Territorial grew to be 8 feet high and produced an amazing amount of fruit!

Our Awesome Cabernet Tomato Plant '09

This year, we were much more prepared but we had enough left over seed from our hasty purchase that we didn't need much this year. We supplemented last year's purchase with some purchased at the local co-op and called it a day.

Recently I came across this company, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I have to say that I'm very impressed!! I may just have to keep them in mind for next year. They have 1400 heirloom varieties. Already my taste buds are tingling!!


Do you have a favorite seed company? If so, leave a comment and let me know!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Aliceson said...

Is Foodie a nice way of saying crazy about food? If so, I must be a foodie too. I think you and I are alike when it comes to how we feel about the food we eat and ultimately feed to our families (BTW, I just ordered a whole butchered pig, again! Very excited!).

Believe it or not, I have never ordered any seed online. This year I pillaged the local garden centers for their organic and heirloom seeds. Most of my tomatoes are different kinds of heirlooms maybe I'll post on that soon...

After we finish planting all of our seeds I'm going to vacuum seal the seeds and save them in the fridge for next year. That should save us some $ next year, I just I hope I like these varieties!

May 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home