Skip to main content

Wake-up Surprise

****TMI WARNING for this post.****

So this morning, Nick and I had a nice adventure. It was bound to happen eventually living in the sticks. I mean, it's happened to our dogs a number of times and it was bound to happen to one of us. It's been 8 months since we've been here. Admittedly, I thought it was a summer thing, not something that would happen in February. Then again, it's 70 degrees today. It was 68 yesterday and for that matter, the whole week has been rather mild.

When Nick hopped out of the shower, I noticed what I thought was some kind of boil on his side. Alas, we were not that lucky. Upon close inspection, it was a tick. I hate ticks. They are disgusting little critters. We used the old vaseline method. It worked wonders, I extracted it and let Nick burn it. I guess my training at grandma's house did some good. I used to spend a week or two every summer with her and my grandpa in Caroline County and every summer one of of us would get a tick on us during our stay there. It was my least favorite thing about the stay, but it was worth all the hours of cards we got to play together. We'd play poker sometimes until 1 or 2 in the morning. We played with pennies and nickels and got to keep the stash.

Luckily, according to the pediatrician, we don't have to worry about Lyme Disease here in Virginia. Apparently we have a lizard in our region of the country that possesses a natural anti-body to the disease causing bacteria in the tick population. Well, that is a relief.

I have been too busy to write lately. Mainly, I'm trying to squeeze in exercise and couponing and there isn't much left after that and taking care of the kids and chores. I did score more free TP. If that isn't reason enough to continue the couponing, I don't know what is!

-M

Comments

Aliceson said…
Oh Yuck! Last summer while visiting my BIL in the woods of Minnesota we found a tick on Binny's butt. At first we thought it was a mole but upon further inspection we correctly identified the tick and checked to make sure it was just a wood tick. Wood ticks have either suspenders or collar like markings. Deer ticks (the ones that carry lyme disease) are very small and don't have the distinctive markings.
13skulls said…
Ticks are really common down here even in the winter. Since I spend a good deal of time in the swamp/woods I'm used to them. I think that after 18 years of marriage Debby is getting used to the occasional "tick check" on the back and back of neck. Same for the menagerie of animals running around this place.

Popular posts from this blog

Pixel Scrapper July 2017 Blog Train

This was a lot of fun!  Most of my artist endeavors have fallen to the wayside now that the kids are out for summer.  I was able to squeeze out a little time for myself.  I needed a few backgrounds to scrapbook our trip to Florida this year, so I created the backgrounds and elements below.  Enjoy!
You can find the files HERE.


Low Fat, Vegan, Spicy Senegalese Peanut Soup

I had the most amazing vegan soup at Revolutionary Soup the other week.  I haven't stopped thinking about how delicious it was... and that was two weeks ago.  I wondered if I could come up with something similar on my own.  I scoured the web and found some delicious looking recipes but none of them were quite right.  I ended up having to play around quite a bit.

While experimenting, I tried versions with lite coconut milk.  I figured if it worked, I'd then work on finding a lower fat alternative but it really didn't add much at all to the dish.  I ended up omitting it all together.  By contrast, the curry powder was absolutely critical.  It added incredible depth to the soup.  I used Tandoori seasoning (my favorite curry powder blend by Penzey's).

I was able to reduce the fat in this dish quite a bit by using PB2 in lieu of full fat peanut butter.  Powdered peanut butter has all of the flavor of peanut butter but 85% less fat.  You can find it at the link I provided or…

Scrapbooking THAILAND Freebie!

After years of neglect on this blog, I'm reemerging so I can share one of my passions: scrapbooking.  I've been doing scrapbooking for over 15 years.  I started out scrapbooking on paper but I have transitioned over to completely digital scrapbooking in the last 7 or so years.

Most of the time I just use whatever freebies I can find but I wasn't able to find a lot of scrapbooking elements and papers to properly document my Thailand travels so I decided to create my own.  Thailand is a very vibrant country and I went with very saturated colors to reflect that.

I hope you are able to enjoy this freebie.   Please feel free to leave me a link to what you create with it!  You can download this kit for personal use only here at dropbox.

!  
Also, here is a link to a new collab project I'm working on with Pixel Scrapper!  You can download the elements/papers individually here.